Friday, October 20, 2006

no on I 933

here is my recently published letter to the editor.....and a reading of part of it on the Thom Hartmann Show by Peter Collins who was filling in for Thom. this was during his "be the media hour"



Initiative 933, the "property fairness act," is anything but fair. Contrary
to claims, it will lead to the paving over of farmlands.
It would force us, taxpayers, to pay people to follow the rules or the rules would be waived.
Millions of dollars will be spent by taxpayers to process, study and possibly
litigate claims.Small municipalities and counties will not be able to afford
to pay, forcing us to waive protections. Some are federally mandated and can't
be waived, forcing us to pay.
This will lead to irresponsible development.
This is money we won't have for needed services to benefit all of us.
Much of the support for this initiative comes from out-of-state big development seeking loopholes.
full letter



and this from the campaign ...to send to our friends....
Dear Friend,
I am writing to urge you to vote NO on Initiative 933. I’m helping the campaign to defeat Initiative 933 and want to make sure all my friends are voting NO!I-933 is the most extreme threat to Washington’s environment and quality of life in over a decade -- rolling back protections we’ve all worked hard to secure. Please join me in voting NO on I-933!Initiative 933 puts us in a no-win situation: we are either forced to pay some property owners to follow our existing laws, or we have to waive those protections. For example, if a law prevents someone from building a strip mall in a neighborhood or a subdivision on farmland, I-933 would force the community to either waive the law and allow more traffic and pollution, or have taxpayers pay off that person to follow the law.By forcing communities to waive protections, I-933 will create loopholes for irresponsible development, threatening water quality, forests, farmland and our own backyards.I-933 is poorly written and will cost tax payers billions. An independent study by the University of Washington found that I-933 could cost taxpayers $8 billion dollars.I have joined with groups like the Washington State Council of Fire Fighters, United Farm Workers, League of Women Voters of Washington, The Nature Conservancy, American Federation of Teachers- Washington, Seattle Chamber of Commerce, and American Lung Association of Washington, Repulicans for Environmental Protection, 6 ex Washington state Governors in opposing I-933 because it is the most dangerous assault on Washington’s taxpayers,communities, and environment in over a decade.
Please join me in working to defeat this dangerous initiative.
Pledge to Vote NO on 933: http://noon933.org/get_involved/pledge.php
For more information and a great short video visit: www.NOon933.org
Thank you! jpeg

No comments: