Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Congressman Larsen explains

Although I can usually find something good to say about Larsen, his lack of communication with his constituents is very frustrating. There's nothing about the Iraq Occupation 'emergency' funding vote on the Congressman website. That was a big deal vote and I don't understand why Larsen didn't have a statement, up on his website and sent out as a press release, to explain his reasons for voting for H.R. 2206.

Scott Ayers, opinion page editor at The Bellingham Herald, has gotten a statement out of Congressman Rick Larsen - D (WA-02).
Congressman Larsen explains his position on Iraq
SCOTT AYERS
THE BELLINGHAM HERALD

May 29

One of the goals of my blog is to ask questions of elected officials that citizens want answered. We have received many letters and e-mails in recent weeks questioning U.S. Rep Rick Larsen's stance on Iraq and on funding for the war.

The following is his response to those questions:

If you have questions for any local, state or national elected leader, let me know and I'll get an answer for you.

Larsen: "The American people have been pushed to the brink of exhaustion by the war in Iraq. Every day I hear from constituents who are fed up with President Bush's policies. Although we don't always agree on the best way to change course, I share your frustration and I will keep pushing for a new direction.

During the last election, Democrats told the American people that we would fight for a new direction in Iraq. That is exactly what we have done. With President Bush in control of the White House, and Democrats holding less than a two-thirds majority in Congress, changing our direction in Iraq will not happen overnight. But together with my Democratic colleagues, I will keep holding the President accountable for his policies in Iraq. And together, we will deliver the new direction the American people have demanded.

Prior to January, I believed that the United States should remain in Iraq until our military had completed the training of Iraqi military forces. Since then, I have called for the unconditional partial withdrawal of U.S. military forces from Iraq to end our military involvement in Iraq's civil war and refocus our efforts on fighting terrorists. I believe that we need to hold the President accountable for a new direction, and I believe that we need to provide our men and women in the field with the resources they need to do their jobs. I have always supported legislation to fund our Armed Forces and those who serve.

I have voted several times this year to hold the President accountable and change our course in Iraq. I voted for the Iraq Accountability Act (H.R.1591) to end our involvement in Iraq's civil war and re-focus our efforts on fighting and killing terrorists. I voted for McGovern amendment (H.R. 2237), which sets a timeline for the redeployment of U.S. Armed Forces while keeping some troops in Iraq to protect U.S. diplomatic missions, protect American citizens, fight terrorists and train Iraqi security forces. I voted for the second Iraq Accountability Act (H.R. 2206) to fully fund our troops for a limited amount of time and hold the President accountable for his own benchmarks in Iraq. All of these bills either failed to pass the Senate or were vetoed by the President.

Last week, I voted to pass an emergency supplemental bill (H.R. 2206) that fully funds our troops and requires that the President report to Congress on his progress in Iraq so we can continue holding him accountable. This bill is not perfect. The benchmarks it includes are weaker than the ones I would have chosen. But it does not give the President a blank check. And make no mistake: this is only the beginning of our work holding the President accountable for a new direction."

1 comment:

Chad Shue said...

CS,


C Here


Peace,
Chad (The Left) Shue