Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Dear radio talkers......

Dear radio talkers....
I hear everybody, those who call themselves Democrats, support Democrats in elections, are actually members of national, state, or local parties or not, pontificating about what “the Democrats” should do or how screwed up we are.
To be clear, I joined the party for the first time in my life in December 2004. Before, I voted Democratic (just voting is a D-grade according to Howard Dean) and usually voted. I had been to one caucus (not presidential nominating year) before 2004 and I am in my third quarter. Since then I have volunteered as a precinct committee officer, (since spring 2005 to now), currently serve as treasurer for my Legislative District organization and my county organization. I have worked on a campaign or issue every fall and served on the platform committee in 2006. I participate in my community to advance policies advocated by our platform. (local county platform)
Most of the work done to maintain our party is done by millions of volunteers, such as myself, and our financial support comes from our members. The way we promote candidates on all levels is put in place by our membership, who suit up and show up day in and day out. Many have served at local, state and national levels for many years and continue to do so. Are we perfect? No, we are human.
There is so much confusion these days and I believe much of the blame can be placed at the decision to use taxpayer funded elections to place presidential candidates for nomination before the voters. I will urge my party to maintain control of our nominating process and take it back where it has been given up. (still caucus, under assault, in my state.)
I am a huge fan of talk radio. Some talkers are truly heroes to me. And that is being said in the spirit of all the wonderful people who are working to take back our voice and our country. Many of us are new to our civic duty. We must all value our work and the work of others.
I certainly do not think everyone has to belong to or work within a party. I would only ask talkers to not assume you know how parties work. Some of us are in the fight of our lives, even within our own party, to keep our party out of the hands of corporatists. (media and otherwise) It makes it hard when people who don't know our process (trust me it is democratic and damn messy) speak as if they know.

1 comment:

Cascajun said...

It will be interesting to see what happens in Denver. Maybe a Goreicle?

"Plans for Al Gore to take the Democratic presidential nomination as the saviour of a bitterly divided party are being actively discussed by senior figures and aides to the former vice-president."